Friday, October 19, 2018

Joy's visit to Ta Van Village


http://hongkongvietnam.blogspot.com.au

Robyn and I were picked up from our Hotel and driven into Sapa where we were joined by So Lo, a lady from Japan and So Lo's friend (who was carrying her baby as she was breast feeding still).  We drove out into the countryside and the 4 ladies were dropped off to commence their 9 km trek. That was beyond my ability so I was driven about 10 kms by taxi to Ta Van Village which took nearly an hour.  We stopped along the way to enjoy the views and the village people. I had about 2 hours to wait for Robyn.

Arriving at Ta Van Village I was soon joined by some of the village ladies with their babies on their backs.  They walked me through the village and suggested I buy some bags from them. When I showed no interest in buying they left me to explore the village on my own. Interesting feeling to be abandoned like that!

I later sat myself at a table in a coffee shop. I was very quickly swarmed by about 15 women and young girls pleading that I buy a bag from them. I eventually said I would buy and nominated who I would purchase from. That caused quite a stir.  Lots of questions "Why won't you buy from me?" I eventually bought another two bags and explained why I chose those two.

A tour leader was sitting at a nearby table with his guests from Japan. Observing what had just happened he came over to ask me how I felt.  I explained that my concern was more about how they felt at being knocked back so many times, day after day. What does that do for their self esteem?  He congratulated me on my approach and how I explained who I would buy from and why I chose that  particular person.


Robyn, So Lo & Tomoko Taketani commenced their 9 km trek
Joy went by taxi to Ta Van Village an hour away

Some of the Black H'Mong mountain village ladies


Ladies & their babies always so welcoming

Young girls trying to sell their handcrafts

Black H'Mong women I met on way to Ta Van Village

Black H'Mong women I met on my way to Ta Van Village

Black H'Mong women


Black H'Mong women


Village people attending to their crops

Boys enjoying some conversation together

Terrace rice fields above Ta Van Village

Village people selling their handicrafts

When I reached Ta Van Village I was greeted by these two

Pork for sale
 note the plastic bags for blades on fan

These women walked me through the village
I eventually bought a bag from each of these ladies in the foreground

Mother and baby in Ta Van Village

Lady in green on left attached herself to me
I eventually bought a bag from her

Local store in Ta Van Village

I sat and chatted with this mother of 6
I bought a bag from her eventually

I noticed a traffic jam at a T intersection

Drying off corn

Chooks and meat for sale

These ladies walked me through village
When I declined their suggestion to buy a bag
they left me to explore the village alone!


Chooks and ducks crowded in a cage

A tight squeeze passing

Ta Van Village School on right

I had been sitting at this coffee shop when
I spotted So Lo and Robyn walking towards me

The girls made it
9 km and 2.5 hours later

Shuttle bus arrived to take us back to Sapa

Muddy shoes

So Lo pointed out where they walked

We had been down in that valley

Now that is picturesque

Women selling their handicrafts

Black H'Mong women

Most people have a motorbike

Waterfall

Buffalo leisurely walking along the road


If you wish to contact the author, Joy Olney with any comments, please email me on:
joyolney@gmail.com

Hong Kong

http://hongkongvietnam.blogspot.com As one recently widowed, going on holidays presented a new thought process.  My d...